Thursday, October 8, 2009

Welcome to Soup Season!

I am obsessed with soups. I make them year-round, even on hot days. To me, nothing is more comforting or soul-soothing than a warm bowl of delicious soup. Soup is also great because you can invent one of your own by throwing in whatever you have on hand. On this sunny October day I was prompted to make a soup out of some Buttercup Squash I got at one of the local farms. I have never bought this type of squash before, but they are really quite cute. I wanted to make the soup sweet but savory, so I decided to saute leeks, bacon, garlic and white wine, but also toss in a dash of nutmeg and vanilla. The vanilla seemed weird but I wanted to try it anyway. Yum!


Recipe:

3-4 Buttercup Squash (cut in half and seeded)
1 box chicken or vegetable broth
2 strips center-cut bacon, diced
1 leek, trimmed, washed and chopped
splash of chardonnay (eyeball it)
splash of half-n-half
sprinkle of thyme
sprinkle of red pepper flakes
small splash of good vanilla extract
pinch of nutmeg

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cut the squash in halves and scoop out seeds. Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt. Roast for about an hour, or until the squash is tender when poked with a fork. Scoop flesh from the squash and set aside.
2) In the meantime, chop and wash leek (I soak the chopped pieces in a bowl of cold water for 10 minutes) and chop bacon. Saute leek and bacon with olive oil in a large pot over low heat. Stir often.
3) When bacon and leeks are cooked (not too brown), add 2-3 cloves chopped garlic and saute for one minute. Splash white wine and scrape up any brown bits from pan. Add squash, broth, vanilla and nutmeg and bring to a boil.
4) Turn heat to low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes with lid halfway on. Add half-n-half and salt and pepper to taste. Use a hand blender to puree the soup (if you don't have one you will have to transfer to a blender or food processor).
Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and Bon Appetit!





4 comments:

  1. Someday I will have to try a soup, or, I can just keep loving the ones you make. I'm glad you're blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I'm glad I have another blog to follow! I've never heard of buttercup squash - your soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen! You are such a little homemaker! That soup looks amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it was good. I'm so lucky to be the taste tester! The sweetness of the squash, vanilla and nutmeg mixed with the savory elements of the soup (plus a touch of spiciness) are a really amazing combination! Good job doll!

    ReplyDelete